Sunday, March 13, 2016

Junk or Treasure?

As some of you may know I am a Mary Jane FarmGirl.! What does that mean? Well for each of us it is different. It is a state of mind and a belief in things, close to our hearts, that makes me......ME and you....YOU. Does that make sense? Maybe not, but for me it is a group, that shares interests in a vast list of activities. Some of us live in Metropolitan Cities, others live in rural communities, some at the beach and others on working farms. The title FarmGirl is that "State of Mind" I mentioned. We have online groups to exchange, ideas and interests of all kinds. If you want to learn a new skill, craft, or just meet some new friends.....check it out. Here is a link maryjanesfarm.org

So on to the reason for the above post. As a FarmGirl member we have the opportunity to learn new skills, or explore new interests, with suggestions on a way to approach the challenge.  "Merit Badges" ...All those old memories of earning badges as a "Brownie" in Canada. That idea appealed to me.
I have a love of vintage collectibles, live in an old farm house in semi rural TN. I want to learn some new skills, make healthy food for my family, and remove processed foods from my pantry.

When organizing my kitchen on moving to my farmhouse I wanted a storage system that was in keeping with the farmhouse era, and was bug proof. In our old house we did have problems with ants, and other insects. So "Canning Jars" are my solution. Add that to Collecting and there we are, my new passion / hobby.

 "Collecting Ball Mason Jars"
In the past I bought jars at the thrift store for storage, towards this end. Any jar in good shape was fine. Then I got a box, at an auction, of Aqua blue jars with old rubber seals and aluminum screw on lids. Looking at the embossed Logo's on the jars I realized they were not all the same. Off to the Internet I went, and now a new obsession has been born. The more I researched the topic, the more I realized I had to learn. The "Ball Mason Jar Company", has also released in the past year many commemorative canning jar colors, from the past. With the Craft Craze to make all kinds of projects from Mason Jars, I am looking forward to searching garage sales (now Spring is here), Antique malls and Thrift stores for new additions to my collection. I used to see bottles of all kinds for sale at auctions. Coke bottles, milk bottles, medicine bottles etc, and think why would anyone collect old bottles? Now I am hooked and beginning to understand! Don't forget.
One Woman's Junk is Another Woman's Treasure !

Baking area of my Farmhouse Kitchen © RJA

Start of my "Collection"  from 1923-1933 Logo  © RJA

© RJA

1910- 1923 Logo © RJA

Work in progress, but coming together. © RJA   





If you have been bitten by the "Fruit Jar Collecting Bug" or have other comments. 
Please leave a note ...would love to hear from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment